1. The minimum number of instructional hours in the school year will be 1032 for first through eighth grade students, 1080 hours for grades nine through twelve and time equivalent to 400 hours for kindergarten students, exclusive of lunchtime.†
2. The district may establish special programs for individual students that may deviate from these requirements when, in the opinion of the superintendent or his/her designee, the programs will further the studentís educational needs.† All special programs must be arranged and approved by the administration with authorization from the studentís parents or guardian.†
3. The board, acting with the advice of the administration and certificated staff, will adopt a curriculum and procure textbooks and materials to support that curriculum.† The administration and certificated staff will design instructional strategies and assessments to implement the curriculum.†
4. To the extent possible, practice for, travel to, and participation in activities sponsored by the Nebraska School Activities Association and the Nebraska Department of Education will be scheduled outside of instructional time.† Individual student absences because of illness or family-centered activities will be governed by district attendance policies.
5. The board intends to strike a sensible balance between the time spent on academics and time spent on extra-curricular activities, acknowledging that both work and play are important in each studentís total development and education.
Adopted on: August 10, 2009
Revised on: _________________________
Reviewed on: July 14, 2014
Reviewed on March 14, 2016