Bid Letting and Contracts
1. General Bidding Policy
a) At the discretion of the board, contracts may be oral or written, formal or informal, expressed or implied true or quasi contracts.
b) The quality of the product and its suitability for the purpose for which it will be used, not price alone, shall be considered in determining the awarding of contracts.
c) The board reserves the right to reject any or all bids.
2. Informal Bidding for Moderate Purchases
a) Written quotes shall be requested on orders of supplies and equipment, new construction, or repair and renovation, when the estimated cost is between $2,000 and $5,000. Such written quotes shall be kept for reference.
b) These quotes can be accepted without board action, but shall be requested in writing and shall be kept on file.
3. Formal Bidding for Major Purchases and Construction
a) The board of education may solicit bids for the provision of large orders of supplies and equipment, new construction, or repair and renovation, if the estimated amount for the supplies and/or equipment exceeds $5,000.00.
b) Pursuant to section 73-106 of the Nebraska statutes, the board will advertise for bids when the contemplated expenditure of the project exceeds $40,000 for the construction, remodeling or repair of a school-owned building or for site improvement.
c) In projects that involve professional engineering or architecture, the board will have a registered professional engineer or architect prepare the plans, specifications, and estimates when the anticipated cost of the project exceeds $100,000.
d) Advertising for Bids
1) The superintendent or designee will arrange to advertise for bids under this section by publishing notice in the authorized papers at least two weeks prior to the date on which bids are due.
2) Nothing in this policy shall prevent the superintendent or designee from advertising the additional media outlets or for a longer period of time.
e) Bid Documents
(1) The bid documents shall identify the day upon which the bids shall be returned, received or opened and shall identify the hour at which the bids will close or be received or opened.
(2) The bid documents shall also provide that such bids shall be opened simultaneously in the presence of the bidders or their representatives.
(3) Bids received after the date and time specified in the bid documents shall be returned to the bidder unopened.
(4) If bids are being opened on more than one contract, the board, in its discretion, may award each contract as the bids are opened.
(5) Sealed bids will be opened in place and at the specific time stated in the bid form. Bidders shall be notified of the opening and invited to be present.
(6) The board shall have discretion in determining which bidders are responsible and responsive and shall award the contract to the lowest responsible bidder whose bid meets the bid specifications.
Adopted on: July 13, 2009
Revised on: _________________________
Reviewed on: November 13, 2013
Reviewed on March 13, 2016