COMMUNITY USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
It shall be the policy of the Columbus Public Schools to encourage community members and groups to use school buildings and facilities for the promotion of school, civic, or social goals, subject to the following provisions:
1. The requirements of the school program will be given the highest priority, at all times, in determining the use of school buildings and facilities.
2. A community school program will receive a higher priority when there multiple requests for the use of the school building or facility and the other requests involve non-educational programs.
3. School-related organizations, such as the PTO and professional educational organizations, will receive a higher priority when there are multiple requests for the use of a school building or facility and the other requests are from organizations and are for activities that are not directly school-related.
4. Approved student groups will be given priority when there are multiple requests for the use of a school building or facility, and the other requests are from adult groups.
5. Requests from groups seeking to use school facilities for financial profit will be considered on an individual basis. The Superintendent or the Superintendent’s designee will be authorized to deny such requests if the nature of the activity is such that use of a public building or facility for such an activity would be inappropriate.
6. Requests from groups seeking to use a school building or facility for partisan reasons will be denied. For purposed of administration of this policy, partisan will be interpreted to mean the promotion of the candidacy of a person or a group of persons. This exclusion would not apply to the use of a building or facility for a community forum, for voter registration purposes, or as a polling place.
It shall further be the policy of the Columbus Public Schools that school equipment may not be removed from school buildings for use by an individual or a non-school organization. Exceptions to this policy may be made by the Superintendent when such requests are made by community agencies or groups for the use of school equipment on a short-term basis.
When non-school groups are granted requests to use school facilities on Saturdays, Sundays, and/or holidays, they will be charged an additional fee to cover the wages of employees required to work on those days and/or additional utility costs.
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 05/14/12 Columbus, Nebraska