PARENT RELATIONS GOALS
It is the general goal of the district to foster relationships with parents which encourage cooperation between the home and school in establishing and achieving common educational goals for students. The board believes parents should be active participants in education by demonstrating interest in and support for their school and the district, by becoming informed about their role as partners in education, and by becoming involved in the education of their children.
While parents are individually responsible for their children, the district provides direct services of education and indirect services of child care for students during the time when they are within the supervision of school personnel. Consistent with these shared responsibilities and as appropriate to the maturity of the student, members of the school staff will consult with parents regarding student progress and achievement, methods to enhance student development, and matters of correction.
Additionally, parental involvement in the schools is encouraged through regular communication with the school principal and staff, the parent/teacher organizations, the school volunteer program, and other opportunities for participation in school activities and district programs. It is assumed that the relationship described in the general goal is fostered if the district will:
· consult with and encourage parents to share in school planning, in setting objectives, and evaluating programs;
· help parents understand the education process and their role in promoting this process;
· provide for parent understanding of school operations;
· provide opportunities for parents to be informed of their child's development and the criteria for its measurement; and
· help parents improve in their role as parents.
Cross Reference: 508.07 Custody and Parental Rights
611.01 Student Progress Reports
611.04 Parent Conferences
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 2/12/07 Columbus, Nebraska