CRISIS MANAGEMENT COMMUNICATIONS
A school crisis may occur at any time, may take various shapes, and may hit with varying degrees of severity. The superintendent is directed to develop a School Communications Crisis Procedure to manage information more effectively and to ensure the crisis will be managed more effectively.
The procedure should include the following provisions:
1. Designation of a crisis spokesperson and description of the spokespersons duties;
2. Preparations to be taken before a crisis for dealing with the media;
3. Procedures for contacting various groups such as emergency response units, employees, parents, and the media;
4. Procedures for developing and releasing a public statement soon after the initiation of the crisis; and
5. Procedures for developing a public statement or report following the conclusion of the crisis.
Cross Reference: 905 Safety Program
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 2/12/07 Columbus, Nebraska