STUDENT INTERNET ACCOUNT
Internet access is available to students and teachers in the Columbus Public Schools (CPS). We believe that this access offers vast, diverse and unique resources, which include the latest technology and information available to mankind throughout the world. Our goal in providing this service is to promote educational excellence in the Columbus Public Schools by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication for students and teachers. This document is an application for an Internet individual user account with Columbus Public Schools.
The Internet is an electronic highway connecting thousands of computers all over the world and millions of individuals. This will give students and teachers access to electronic mail communication with people all over the world; information and news from around the world as well as the opportunity to correspond with the providers of this information; public domain and shareware software of all types; discussion groups on a wealth of topics; and, access to many university library catalogs, clearinghouses and databases.
With this access to computers and people all over the world also comes the availability of material that may not be considered to be of educational value in the context of the school setting. Columbus Public Schools has taken all available precautions to restrict access to controversial materials. However, on a global network it is impossible to control all materials and an industrious user may discover controversial information. We firmly believe that the valuable information and interaction available on this worldwide network far outweighs the possibility that users may procure material that is not consistent with the educational goals of Columbus Public Schools.
Because Internet access is coordinated through a complex association of government agencies, and regional and state networks, it is necessary that all end-users adhere to terms and conditions to insure smooth operation of the network. Because Internet is used as part of the school's instructional program, conduct will be subject to the school's code of conduct as formalized by individual standards of responsibility, school standards of responsibility and district policies regarding standards of responsibility. At the same time, Columbus Public Schools places a high value on a student's right to freedom of expression. The terms and conditions for use are provided here so that all will be aware of the responsibilities which accompany the privilege of use. In general, this requires efficient, ethical and legal utilization of the network resources. If a Columbus Public Schools user violates any of these provisions, his or her account with Internet will be terminated and future access could possibly be denied. The signature(s) at the end of this document is (are) legally binding and indicate(s) the party (parties) who signed has (have) read the terms and conditions carefully and understand(s) their significance.
The following terms and conditions should be read carefully by parents, students, and staff. A signed copy of the terms and conditions and application must be on file at CPS before individual access to Internet is allowed for any user.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) Acceptable Use - The purpose of access to Internet is to support research and education in and among academic institutions by providing access to unique resources and the opportunity for collaborative work. The use of your account must be in support of education and research and consistent with the educational objectives of the Columbus Public Schools. Use of other organization's networks or computing resources (Examples: The Whitehouse, NASA or the Smithsonian) must comply with the rules appropriate for that network. Transmission of any material in violation of any U.S. or state regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret. Use of the Internet for commercial activities by for-profit institutions is generally not acceptable. Use for product advertisement or political lobbying is also prohibited.
2) Privileges - The use of Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges.
3) Netiquette - You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
a. Be polite and use appropriate language.
b. Do not reveal your personal address or phone number or those of students or colleagues.
c. Electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private.
d. Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
e. Keep your account password private, and log off the network after each use. You must understand that all activity involving your account is your responsibility.
4) Vandalism - Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy any hardware, software, or data belonging to the school or another user. This includes the uploading or creation of computer viruses.
5) Security - Security is a high priority especially when the system involves many users. If you feel that a security problem on Internet has been identified, you must notify a supervisor. Do not use another individual's account. Attempts to login to the system as any other user will result in cancellation of user privileges. Attempts to login to Internet as a system administrator will result in cancellation of user privileges. Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied individual access to Internet.
6) Account Information - In the future, you may be required to update service registration and account information. You must notify CPS of any changes in account information. Currently, there are no user fees for this service.
7) Indemnity - Columbus Public Schools makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the Internet service. CPS will not be responsible for damages you suffer. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, misdeliveries, or service interruptions caused by negligence, errors, or omissions. CPS will not be responsible for any financial charges incurred by an account user or someone else using the account. Use of any information obtained via Internet is at your own risk. CPS specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
I understand and will abide by the above Terms and Conditions for Internet. I further understand that violation of the terms and conditions above is unethical. I also understand that activity on my account may be periodically monitored by certified staff. Should I commit any violation, my individual access privileges may be revoked and school disciplinary action and/or appropriate legal action may be taken.
Name (please print)______________________________________________________
User Signature_________________________________________Date ____ /____/____
Parent or Guardian - (If you are under the age of 19 a parent or guardian must also read and sign this agreement.) As the parent or guardian of this student I have read the Terms and Conditions for Internet. I understand that this access is designed for educational purposes and Columbus Public Schools has taken available precautions to eliminate controversial material. I understand that CPS will, to the extent possible, control access to network news sources, chat groups and electronic bulletin boards that are considered inappropriate. However, I also recognize it is impossible for CPS to restrict access to all controversial materials and I will not hold them responsible for materials acquired on the network. I further understand that this student's privileges may be restricted or suspended for failure to adhere to the Terms and Conditions set forth above. I am aware that this student may, without signing this agreement, be given limited access to specific resources available on Internet within a supervised classroom environment. I hereby give my permission to issue an account for my child and certify that the information contained on this form is correct.
Parent or Guardian (please print):____________________________________________
Signature ____________________________________________Date ____ /____/____
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 05/8/95 Columbus, Nebraska
Amended: 12/11/06 Reviewed: 8/10/09