INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS SELECTION
The Board has sole discretion to approve instructional materials for the school district. This authority is delegated to certificated employees to determine which instructional materials, other than textbooks, will be utilized by and purchased by the school district.
In reviewing current instructional materials for continued use and in selecting additional instructional materials, certificated employees shall consider the current and future needs of the school district as well as the changes and the trends in education and society. It shall be the responsibility of the superintendent to report to the board the action taken by certificated employees.
In making its recommendations to the superintendent, the certificated employees will select materials which:
· support the educational philosophy, goals and objectives of the school district;
· consider the needs, age, and maturity of students;
· are within the school district's budget;
· foster respect and appreciation for cultural diversity and difference of opinion;
· stimulate growth in factual knowledge and literary appreciation;
· encourage students to become decision-makers, to exercise freedom of thought and to make independent judgment through the examination and evaluation of relevant information, evidence and differing viewpoints;
· portray the variety of careers, roles, and lifestyles open to persons of both sexes; and,
· increase an awareness of the rights, duties, and responsibilities of each member of a multicultural society.
In the case of textbooks, the board shall make the final decision after receiving a recommendation from the superintendent. The criteria stated above for selection of other instructional materials shall apply to the selection of textbooks. The superintendent may develop another means for the selection of textbooks. Textbooks shall be reviewed as needed and at least every 10 years.
Education materials given to the school district must meet the criteria established above. The gift must be received in compliance with board policy.
Cross Reference: 203.07 Advisory Board Committees
603 Curriculum Development
611 Academic Achievement
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 12/11/06 Columbus, Nebraska