Student Memorials and Gifts to School District
Generally, district employees are discouraged from receiving or accepting any personal gifts, compensation, commission, expense-‐paid trips, or anything of value (more than $50.00) from individuals or companies supplying equipment, or materials required in the operation of the District.
From time to time, however, gifts, donations, and/or memorials may be presented to the district. The gifts, donations, and/or memorials shall be made known to the Superintendent in writing who shall bring the information regarding the gift, donation and/or memorial to the Board for their acceptance by a majority vote of the members present at a regular and/or special meeting of the Board. All gifts, donations and/or memorials become the property of the district. All decisions about the use and disposition of said gifts, donations and/or memorials shall be made by the Board.
The district will provide family and friends ample opportunities to express their grief upon the death of a student or staff member active in the schools at the time of his/her death. Such opportunities shall be in accordance with district rules and procedures.
The Board encourages the establishment of memorials in the form of scholarships through the Columbus Public Schools Foundation. The Board also encourages contributions by students, staff and administrators to memorials designated by the family and local charities (i.e. EPSF, Cancer Society, SADD).
The Board reserves the right to reject memorials purchased or donated in memory of a student or staff member if:
1. The memorial contains a name or picture of the deceased to be displayed in a building or on school grounds.
2. It alters the routine of a regular school day.
3. It requires the retirement or discontinued use of school property.
4. It requires the altering of property or publications.
5. It requires altering of school activities in any way.
6. It infringes on the separation of church and state.
7. It requires public funds to purchase, develop, or maintain.
8. It obligates the district in the future that could have an adverse effect on the education of students.
Cross Reference: 1005.02 Parent Relations Goals
Policy Adopted: 9/11/06 Columbus Public Schools
Revised: 12/21/15 Reviewed: 11/16/15