ASSIGNMENT OF CONTINUING STUDENTS TO CLASS
Pupils will be enrolled in grades and classes in which they can be expected to master established district instructional/learning objectives. All pupils who are included under the compulsory school attendance law must be enrolled and required to attend all classes prescribed by the state and the district Board of Education unless exempt by the school authorities.
Pupils will be assigned to the grade level in elementary and middle schools, or be enrolled in classes recommended by the principal consistent with state guidelines, the recommendations of teachers, through academic achievement tests and other evaluation measures. Ability to meet district grade‑subject and course instructional/learning objectives will be a major factor in grade level assignment.
High school students will be classified in certain grades according to the following criteria:
· Freshman (ninth grade student) ‑ A student in his/her first year of a four‑year senior high school or a student with sufficient credits to expect graduation* in four years.
· Sophomore (tenth grade student )‑ A student in the second year of enrollment in a four‑year senior high school who has earned sufficient credits to expect graduation* in three years.
· Junior (eleventh grade student) ‑ A student with two or more years of enrollment in a senior high school who has earned sufficient credit to expect graduation* in two years.
· Senior (twelfth grade student) ‑ A student with three or more years of enrollment in a senior high school who has earned sufficient credit to expect graduation* in one year.
* Students may reasonably expect to graduate if they earn the required credits by successfully completing a full schedule of classes. They may not expect graduation or a class promotion if they must gain extra credit from an overload schedule, summer school or correspondence work.
Legal Reference: Neb. Statute 79-526
Cross Reference: 100 District Organization and Basic Commitments
503 Student Attendance
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 9/11/06 Columbus, Nebraska