The board will conduct an ongoing evaluation of the superintendent's skills, abilities, and competence.† At a minimum, the board will formally evaluate the superintendent twice in the first year and annually thereafter, no later than December 15th.† The goal of the superintendent's formal evaluation is to ensure the education program for the students is carried out, promote growth in effective administrative leadership, clarify the superintendent's role, clarify the immediate priorities of the board, and develop a working relationship between the board and the superintendent.
The formal evaluation will be based upon the following principles:
1. the evaluation criteria shall be in writing, clearing stated and mutually agreed up on the board and the superintendent.† The criteria will be related to the job description and the school districtís goals;
2. At a minimum, the evaluation process will be conducted annually at a time agreed upon;
3. Each board member shall have an opportunity to individually evaluate the superintendent, and these individual evaluations will be compiled into an overall evaluation by the entire board;
4. The board as a whole shall discuss its evaluation with the superintendent in closed session; and
5. The board will complete the evaluation process by reaching consensus on goals or priorities for the superintendent for the next period of evaluation.
vice president or
his/her designee will develop a written summary of the individual evaluation,
including both the strengths and weaknesses of the superintendent, and place it
in the superintendentís personnel file to be incorporated into the next cycle
This policy supports and does not preclude the ongoing, informal evaluation of the superintendent's skills, abilities and competence.
Legal Reference:†††††††† Neb. Statute 79-828
Cross Reference:†††††††† 202.03 Board Self-Evaluation
204.06 Closed Sessions
302.01 Superintendent Qualifications, Recruitment, Appointment
Policy††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† COLUMBUS PUBIC SCHOOLS
Adopted:††† 06/14/04†† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Columbus, Nebraska