EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Mission of the Columbus Public Schools:
“Engaging all learners to achieve success”
The Vision of the Columbus Public Schools:
As the cornerstone of educational excellence in our community, we will continuously and passionately strive to be a high performing Learning Community that will effectively meet the unique learning needs of each and every student. To attain our Mission we must:
· maintain a clear and shared focus on student learning;
· set and maintain appropriately high expectations for students and for each other;
· frequently and systematically monitor the learning of each student to appropriately respond to each student's learning needs;
· expect and provide for high levels of commitment, collaboration, and communication among students, parents, staff, and community members;
· continuously implement, in all grades and subject areas, an articulated and effective curriculum that aligns with recognized standards and is supported by appropriate instructional and assessment practices;
· provide a safe and supportive environment for learning and teaching;
· provide effective instructional leadership in each classroom, each building, and the District;
· value diversity in ways that enrich student learning and our community; and
· implement professional development activities for staff that support their efforts to appropriately use the best practices of high-performing schools.
As a school corporation of Nebraska, the Columbus Public School District, acting through its School Board, is dedicated to promoting an equal opportunity for a quality public education to its students within the limitations of the school district’s ability and willingness to furnish financial support to provide for students in cooperation with their parents and the school district community, the opportunity to develop a healthy social, intellectual, emotional, and physical self-concept in a learning environment that provides guidance to and encourages critical thinking in the students for a lifetime.
The board endeavors through the dedication of the school district’s resources, to encourage students, who come to the school district from a variety of backgrounds, to look forward to the time when they will have jobs, homes, families, places in the school district community, and attain recognition as individuals. In order to achieve this goal, the board will seek qualified employees dedicated to development of their professional skills for the betterment of the education program and for the expertise for educational productivity.
Instruction and curriculum are the key elements of a public education. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills that will assist the students’ preparation for life shall be instructed as part of a sequentially coordinated curriculum. The school district strives to prepare students for employment, to discover and nurture creative talent and to prepare them to meet and cope with social change in an atmosphere conducive to learning.
The support and involvement of the home and the school district community are essential to achieve educational excellence in the school district. The school district strives to maintain an active relationship with the home and the school district community to create within the students an awareness of dignity and worth of the individual, civic responsibility and respect for authority.
Legal Reference: Neb. Statute 79-526
NDE Rule 10.012.01A
Cross Reference 103 Equal Educational Opportunity
104 Educational and Operational Planning
205 School Board Policy Process
601 Goals and Objectives of Instructional Plan
603 Curriculum Development
Policy COLUMBUS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Adopted: 12-08-03 Columbus, Nebraska
Revised: __ 01-17-11