SUPERINTENDENT QUALIFICATIONS, RECRUITMENT, APPOINTMENT
The board shall employ a superintendent to serve as the chief executive officer of the board, to conduct the daily operations of the school district, and to implement board policy with the power and duties prescribed by the board and the law.
The board shall consider applicants that meet or exceed the standards set by the Nebraska Department of Education and the qualifications established in the job description for the superintendent position. In employing a superintendent, the board shall consider the qualifications, credentials and records of the applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, religion, age, or disability. The board will look closely at the training, experience, skill and demonstrated competence of qualified applicants in making its final decision.
In the selection of the Superintendent of Schools, it shall be the policy of the Board of Education to seek the counsel of educational institutions and departments whose officials are acquainted with the needs of the school community, and with prospective candidates for the position. Whenever possible, the board or a committee of the board shall visit the community last served by the candidate and seek pertinent information to assist in judging the candidate.
The following qualifications will be considered by the board in selecting a superintendent:
1. Ability to cooperate with and provide leadership for other people.
2. Sane courage and sound progressiveness.
3. Ability as a public speaker.
4. Pleasing personality.
5. Three or more years of successful administrative experience.
6. A good general education with a minimum of a Master's Degree or its equivalency in school administration. An educational specialist degree is preferred.
7. Good health and moral character.
8. Administrative and Supervisory certificate endorsed for the position of Superintendent.
9. Sincere interest in youth and the community.
Legal Reference: 29 U.S.C. §§ 621-634 (1994).
42 U.S.C. §§ 2000e et seq. (1994).
Cross Reference: 201.01 Board Powers and Responsibilities
301 Administrative Structure
Approved ________________ Reviewed ______________ Revised ________________